Friday 22 May 2009

'Work shop in 'Ecole Bare' in Mutenderi Sector'...................................or........................' These teachers do rock!!!'

Drive to 'Ecole Bare' in Mutenderi Sector.

Is that a cupboard on the back of that bike??? Yes it is!!!!
















These three pics:
We did a session about 'How to teach phonics'. Afterwards the teachers had to work in small groups of 5. They were asked to prepare a 'Phonic Session' during which they were supposed to use the new Methodology and then they had to teach each other.
Well done guys!!!




Please note that VSO i
s in no way connected with or responsible for the content, comments and observations in this blog: these are solely my own in a personal capacity.
Hi all,
tonight I am tired but very happy. The last two days went very well and the workshop was a great success. It all started yesterday morning. I left the house at 6.40 with a huge backpack full of stuff for the training- ...loads of picture and word cards, 22 songbooks, 22 phonic guides, rice sacks, paper, blue tack, washing lines, flip chart paper and loads of prepared displays and pens, etc.. I will be really fit in a few months, as I carried it all to my office which is -of course -uphill. It was great, as my Moto Driver Jean-Baptiste -whoms whole family I do know by now- was on time in the office and could not stop laughing when he saw my huge back pack. My colleague Bosco said I should order a second Moto for my bag!! But I thought: 'No, I am a strong woman, I can do it....no worries.' That is ....what us VSOs are known for....huge bag....on the way to some training. I had never been to that school before but I did know the head 'Leandre' very well. Otherwise, I did not know the room we could use or the teachers. All I knew was, I could not wait to start. The drive was awesome as always. This country is so beautiful and the mornings do have their very own atmosphere. When I arrived at the school I was very pleased with the room and of course I had to go into every class to say 'Hi' and introduce myself. Then I prepared the room and the participants arrived. What a nice crowd. I had my stereo system with me and by now all of them are 100% 'Jack Johnson' fans. A short while later we started with some activities to introduce ourselves. The whole day was just fantastic. It was great fun to work with the teachers and I honour them a lot for what they achieved. They really did rock!!! We learned loads of new songs, games, learned about VAK as well as how to include different senses into teaching, how to introduce new vocabularies and how to teach phonics. Today at lunchtime I was invited to 'Leandres' house and his Mum cooked some lunch for us. She is such a nice person. I asked her if I can come to her house in two weeks to cook together with her, as I want to learn Rwandan cooking. Oh, she certainly loved that idea.....and I loved it, too! The whole day was good. After lunch we did go back to school for our last seesion about 'Spelling'. Through the evaluation I received a lot of feedback about the workshop. The one I loved most was: 'Now I can make English fun'. I really do like this comment, as that is what my work is all about! I cannot wait to see the same 'Team' again. I will train them for another two days in 4 weeks. Enjoy the pics, they are 'brandneu' from today and still hot. Have fun!


Here we started to learn one of the new songs from the 'Song Book' I did write back in April. The teachers loved the songs and even though they did sing very quiet at the beginning, they rocked in the end. Good people!!!!

After having a session about 'How to introduce new vocabularies in an active way' the teachers had to do some group work. And.....they used the new methodology. Yeehhaaaa! Please keep on doing that in your classrooms.

No comments: