Monday 24 August 2009

Back in Kibungo

Please note that VSO is in no way connected with or responsible for the content, comments and observations in this blog: these are solely my own in a personal capacity.

Hi all,
I arrived back in Kibungo yesterday afternoon and today I had a very nice day back at work.
I was quite lazy in the morning and decided to chill and have a coffee in bed and read a book until 9.00. Then I just could not face a cold shower on my first day back home. Therefore I boiled some water and had a hot bucket shower with some nice soap from the body shop…. That was a good start into the day.
One of the best things I brought back from the UK are 4 Kilos of really nice Muesli. Therefore I had my first nice and healthy breakfast in Kibungo since September last year. It does sound stupid….but it really does make a difference.
Around 10:30 I thought it was finally time to go to the office and I climbed up that steep hill…..oh…oh….oh….how do I hate that walk in the heat in the morning!!! But it stunning beautiful.
View from my way to work.
On my way to work.
A lot of people do wear traditional clothes over here.
Once I arrived, it was really nice to be back in the office and talk to the colleagues and also to see some of the head teachers. Everybody had a good word to say and they were very sweet. I did my workshop plan for the next 2 weeks and wrote a letter to all the heads. I just love that I can create my job myself and then discuss it with my boss in the hope he will one day create these ideas himself. Afterwards I phoned Suzanne and we went for lunch at restaurant 'Moderne'. Food here means Omelette, goat, chips or Melanche....that is it. So we went for Melanche and.....wouw...they did actually have nice vegetables (green beans and carrots) and fresh salad with .... Vitamins!!!! That was great as the amount of Carbohydrates - and just only Carbs - you normally get is horrible and I was just happy to have had the opportunity to get some vitamins into my body.
This afternoon I went to a school and it felt like coming home and it was just great to meet all the teachers and children. They were so welcoming. It was really cool.
Outside the school.
Playground during lessonDuring breaktime.
BreaktimeOn the way home I came past a little house that sold 9 tomatoes, 5 onions and 20 plantains (probably that was everything that was growing in their garden). So I bought 3 of each and am happy that I have something to make a fresh salad tomorrow.
In the evening I met some friends at a bar. Suzanne brought another parcel from the UK with more books for Primary Schools. Thanks to everyone who has send books so far. If your are interested in taking part of the book project, you are welcome to send books. I will give you more information on how to do that on my blog in the near future.
These books arrived so far and will be used to create libraries in different schools.
After having some good Primus (rwandan beer) I walked home through the absolute dark night. The stars and the sounds were amazing and it felt really peaceful. I felt like going for a really long nightwalk and I think I will do that soon with a friend.
Kibungo can be absolutely boring ....well...more than boring!!!!.....but it is so much nicer than Kigali and people do really care for each other. This is a nice place to be even though buying food and preparing water…and….and…and can be difficult, tiring and time consuming at times.
But the people here are just nice and caring and the nature is absolutely stunning beautiful.
Altogether this was a really good day and just what I needed: a good start over here.
I hope you are all well,
take care,
xxx Tina

No comments: