Saturday 20 August 2011

The book project - thank you to the Children from the German School in NY. You are real stars!!!



A while ago Anna went to the post office to mail some parcels. There, in the mail box, were two slips for parcel pick up addressed to me. As I did not live here anymore but she decided to pay the fee, collect the parcels and take a moto home. The clerk pointed to a large mail bag in the back and Anna assumed the parcel was in there and he meant that it would take a moment to get. Anna paid the fee (which was small and usually indicative of the size of parcel) and then the clerk ask me if I had a car. (She laughed).
I now just paste in what Anna wrote:
As it turns out, the large mail bag - and the two others next to it - were all for Tina! How would I take these back on a moto? What were they? I went around and saw that they were all used books for the library that she had wanted to start. So, a week later I finally found that Francis had sometime (and a Rav 4) and we went yesterday to pick them up. My plan is to build a library at one of the local schools that will serve a Regional library for the sector. I have so many ideas that I'm just bursting to begin! When I got the books home I sorted through them and categorized them into different areas. I also tossed some that were inappropriate. Maybe it's looking a gift horse in the mouth but kids in Africa don't deserve books that are torn and ripped and have pages stuck together. Most of the books are in great shape and most have neutral content. I did decided that the book called "Wow! School!" should not be included. There are large glossy pages with pictures of a typical Western School that says things like "Wow! Art class!", "Wow! Playground!", "Wow! Books!", "Wow! Lunch!" -- all of which the kids here don't get. Other than that, there are some great resources and I really hope this project is a success.


Loaded and ready to go!
Thanks US Postal Service!
Piled on my table before the organization begins.
I think this book is perfect for Rwanda.....

Brilliant!!! Thank you to all the
children
from the
German School in NY,
their parents
and especially to
Christine Haefele
my dear friend from London and nowadays teacher at the DSNY
xxx Tina



No comments: